Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Religions of Malaysia

Malaysia is a country that has a very eclectic religious makeup. The largest groups of people in Malaysia are the Malay Muslims, the Chinese Buddhists and the Indian Hindus. My 2nd weekend here was the celebration of Diwali which is a celebration of lights for Indians. They celebrate on a night with a new moon and light candles. Diwali celebrates the triumph of good over evil. The first video is the Diwali decoration on the Mall's floor in Kuala Lumpur. The decoration is made out of colored rice.


Once we got back from KL, we decided to celebrate Diwali at our favorite Indian restaurant across the street from the Hotel. Renu and Shan own the establishment and have become family to me. They feed me well and every once in a while give me whiskey. My dinner was on the house this night!

Renu thought my video camera was a camera camera...little did she know!

Since the government of Malaysia is mainly held by the Muslim parties, there is always a large mosque in each of the state's capital cities (I am in Kuantan which is the capital of Pahang). Below is a video of the Mosque of Kuantan. Non-Muslims are not allowed inside. If you see a video of the inside, I either converted or snuck in.

1 comment:

  1. You made it to Kuala Lampur! Would love to hear more about it. Great to see the Kuantan mosque "in person"... it's in all the travel books! Keep the videos coming. What a great way to travel with you...xo

    ReplyDelete