Sunday, October 11, 2009

Purple Haze after the Storm

The 2nd week of my stay in Malaysia is underway. I survived my first week. It helps that the food is amazing, the people are incredibly friendly and the weather has been great...so far...

The people and food will hopefully stay conditionally good year round, but the weather is headed for a unfavorable turn. So far, we get a couple wild thunderstorms in the evenings (we had 3 last week). The first video I am posting is actually kind of embarrassing, but funny and awesome at the same time. I waited to see lightening then turned on my camera right after. With all the storms coming up I am hoping to capture both the lightening and the thunder in one clip.

Episode II is the house band at the hotel I am staying at. They are a Filipino band that have really impressed me. They play everything from local Malaysian pop songs, oldies like La Bamba, Top 40 US songs and songs by hard rock bands like Korn.

As a guitar player, I absolutely hate it when you can't hear a guitar solo. This clip of Episode II covering Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix was before I had a friendly chat with their sound guy. This clip would have been a lot better had I taken it after my sound advice!



Coworker and I watched them play Saturday night. The guitarist closed with this Eddie Van Halen-esque guitar solo complete with tapping and dive bombing the whammy bar (see picture to the left if you're not sure what a whammy bar is). This is another clip I am hoping to get before my time is up in Malaysia.

The singers are also something to brag about. There is one male vocalist and two female. The male vocalist was featured in the Jimi Hendix clip and the below clip features Vanna.



1 comment:

  1. I can't watch the videos because...well...my internet connection is terrible.

    I'm instead going to imagine them as yoko ono meets poison so there.

    ReplyDelete